Camping without a permit?

Cass

Total posts
Is it even possible in the US today? I remember years ago that permits weren't required to camp in the national parks, but now it looks like a camper must obtain a Wilderness Permit or a Backcountry Permit, depending on the park. Where can a person camp without a permit?

I believe camping in national forests is free. Some national parks may offer free camping depending on time and season. One example that I know is Riley Creek. If we want to camp during summer, the price depends on whether we choose a tent or an RV. It's free all year long otherwise.

I think permits only exist for camping/hiking in areas where demand is super high, like Yosemite. The government has to limit access to such areas, otherwise there'd be real environmental impacts/safety issues. I took our family to Yosemite a while back and we had to get reservations ~5 months in advance and there was a mad scramble to book sites as soon as online booking opened.

I'd say this is more of a California thing but my brother talks about camping reservations filling up quickly in Michigan too. It seems like wherever there's camping near a population center or popular destination like Yosemite, you're going to have a permitting/reservation system in place to control access.

. I took our family to Yosemite a while back and we had to get reservations ~5 months in advance and there was a mad scramble to book sites as soon as online booking opened.
I think that's the part that bugs me the most. It leaves little room for spontaneity. Sometimes you just want to gather the kids and go for a weekend of fun, without having to schedule everything in, months in advance. I'm grateful to live within driving distance to so many amazing wildlife and camping areas, so I really shouldn't complain. I guess I'll have to get with it and put it on my calendar to reserve a spot for next year.

Trending topics

Latest U.S. topics

Back