Consequences of Operating a Food Truck Without Full Permits

Nomad

Aug 26, 2023
I stumbled upon an interesting question on Reddit. The question is related to food truck business and I thought our community could provide inputs. A new food truck owner is asking Reddit community about the consequences of operating food truck business without permits. He wants to know how strict the permit checks are. He also mentions that some vendors are already operating business without permits, so what if he also skips the permit to cut costs but before that he wants to understand the risks and benefits of following all the rules.

In the Reddit thread they mention that permit checks are done by the health department, not the police. They also say that when you have done proper paperwork, you will have peace of mind.

You can read the original discussion here.

Keep in mind, the police are usually not involved, permits are primarily enforced by the health department themselves. Not obtaining the proper permits and operating without the required permits could result in massive fines and may further just complicate the process of obtaining them in the future.

And since they want to serve their food at events, they need to realize that many event coordinators will check up on the permits and certificates to make sure all is legit. They check every vendor that wants to participate, so you really can't go without the required permits for long. And if caught without permits, the fines could be more than what you would have paid if you just obtained the required permits. Sometimes costing up to three times more than the standard permit fee.

It's better to be fully compliant with all of this, not only for legal reasons, but also for your peace of mind. You can also advertise freely and lets you focus more on your business. And you save yourself from potential shutdowns or legal issues down the road. And everyone loves a reputable and trustworthy brand.

Best bet, is to always get permitted, especially when it involved food and running a food truck. It's very easy for the health department to come down on you if you're not permitted too, especially with the fines, no thanks. I've heard horror stories about people being fined because of this, and yeah, you don't want that.

And on the other side, good luck getting into any important events if you're not a permitted food truck. You stand to make more money if you're permitted and registered. Better safe than sorry is how I put it.

Best bet, is to always get permitted, especially when it involved food and running a food truck. It's very easy for the health department to come down on you if you're not permitted too, especially with the fines, no thanks. I've heard horror stories about people being fined because of this, and yeah, you don't want that.

And on the other side, good luck getting into any important events if you're not a permitted food truck. You stand to make more money if you're permitted and registered. Better safe than sorry is how I put it.
The fines could be a massive problem, especially for smaller businesses who are reliant on their food truck. That's why it's important to be permitted right out of the gate, because you'll be stuck with fines that could put your food truck business on hold, or even cause you to shut down early.

Back