Get into the holiday spirit, and gift the outdoors with permits

Winny

Oct 30, 2023
The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife (ODFW) is offering a holiday sale on outdoor licenses and permits for the calendar year of 2024; from Jan 1st, 2024 to Dec 31st, 2024. They are doing this sale in the hopes of getting more people outside to do outdoor activities like; fishing, hunting, kayaking, and boating. What better gift could you get a hunter who needs to renew their license or permits? This would be the perfect time to renew or sign up, as the prices will be lowered a bit.

Licenses and Permits can be purchased online from MyODFW.com or through your local license sale agents. As well, you're not limited to just those gift options, they are also offering; shellfish licenses, big game raffle tickets, waterway access permit wildlife area parking permit, and youth licenses. You can also make donations to the Oregon Conservation and Recreation Fund.

For more on this story, along with further details on pricing and what licenses and permits are offered, follow the link to the full article here - KTVZ

Hey, that's one way to get people out there experiencing the outdoors. I checked out some of the prices listed in the article, and most sound fair to me, a bit pricey for some, but I think mostly affordable. I wish I could partake in more outdoor activities, maybe not hunting, but I'd love to get back to fishing again.

I wish more states did this for their permits and licenses.

In California, if you're really in the gift-giving mood, you can purchase someone a lifetime fishing or hunting license as a gift. The lifetime licenses generally cost about $1000 but only $679 if you're 62 or older (not sure if that's a senior discount or actuarial adjustment...I think the latter). When I first heard about this, I thought it might actually make a great retirement present for a family member who loves the outdoors and now has a bunch of free time. A one-day California fishing license costs $20, so the lifetime license is a relative deal compared to that, depending how much you think the recipient would actually be out fishing.

That's such a clever idea! Oftentimes people are at a loss of what to give their friends and family and this is something very unique. My dad is one such person who would love a fishing permit! I hope other states do something like this as well!

The holiday sale on outdoor licenses and permits by the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife is a great initiative to encourage more people to engage in outdoor activities. It's a perfect opportunity for hunters to renew their licenses or permits at lower prices. Additionally, the availability of online purchasing and a wide range of options like shellfish licenses and youth licenses makes it even convenient. Donating to the Oregon Conservation and Recreation Fund is a commendable option as well.

What a novel gift idea. We have lifetime licenses in Tennessee as well, @Eric. They're pretty costly, but it's a good investment for true enthusiasts, as they'd save money over the years with regular use. I'd never thought of gifting one, though.

In California, if you're really in the gift-giving mood, you can purchase someone a lifetime fishing or hunting license as a gift. The lifetime licenses generally cost about $1000 but only $679 if you're 62 or older (not sure if that's a senior discount or actuarial adjustment...I think the latter). When I first heard about this, I thought it might actually make a great retirement present for a family member who loves the outdoors and now has a bunch of free time. A one-day California fishing license costs $20, so the lifetime license is a relative deal compared to that, depending how much you think the recipient would actually be out fishing.
That's actually a really good gift idea, considering some people hate dealing with the permitting process. I myself can't stand it majority of the time, but to be able to get a lifetime license would make life so much easier for some. My uncle who is an avid hunter would be into this, but I wonder if I can get something similar in Michigan.

Back