Habitat for Humanity secures permits to build unique affordable housing

Jake

Oct 30, 2023
This is great news! Habitat for Humanity in Georgetown County South Carolina has secured permits to build new housing for the poor and in need. To do this, they intend to turn metal shipping containers into homes. The project is being called HOPE, and the team behind it have been working on it for a while. They HOPE to secure new housing for those making 30% or less of the area’s median income. They believe the shipping containers are the most cost-effective for what they're doing. Each house will have a bedroom, kitchen, full bathroom, and a washer and dryer for laundry.

They hope to finish the prototype in the next three to four months, so it's coming in quick. Could you see yourself living in a home made out of a shipping container? I think I could do it.

For more on this story, go here - MSN
Adobe-Stock-197360351.webp

Georgetown County, South Carolina, United States
This is what more states should do to help people secure housing. I could live in a tiny home made out of a shipping container. I wonder if more Habitat for Humanity groups will start to build homes from shipping containers like this. Will save on costs.

My only concern is weatherization. How well will these homes do in cold and hot weather?

This is what more states should do to help people secure housing. I could live in a tiny home made out of a shipping container. I wonder if more Habitat for Humanity groups will start to build homes from shipping containers like this. Will save on costs.

My only concern is weatherization. How well will these homes do in cold and hot weather?
I'm surprised they didn't do it sooner. With the rise of tiny home living, I can see more people adopting the style of living going forward, that minimalistic lifestyle.

And yeah, weatherization could be a problem, but I assume they will have that figured out by putting up walls with some insulation. They would probably want to weatherproof the outside too somehow. As long as the outside isn't black and retains heat, it should be fine.

I wonder if more Habitat for Humanity groups will start to build homes from shipping containers like this. Will save on costs.

I love hearing news like this. Using shipping containers to construct homes for low-income communities is incredibly practical, especially compared to Habitat's historic practice of building new traditional homes for those in need. If this works out, Habitat will be able to get a lot more bang for their buck in terms of achieving their mission. Other Habitat groups should take notice, especially those operating in states like Texas, where zoning laws are highly favorable for container homes.

I love hearing news like this. Using shipping containers to construct homes for low-income communities is incredibly practical, especially compared to Habitat's historic practice of building new traditional homes for those in need. If this works out, Habitat will be able to get a lot more bang for their buck in terms of achieving their mission. Other Habitat groups should take notice, especially those operating in states like Texas, where zoning laws are highly favorable for container homes.
I think it would also result in more candidates being accepted into free & affordable housing. Maybe one day they won't even have to build the homes, they could have them mass produced and fully furnished when delivered to the recipients. Which could result in people getting into their homes faster too.

I've been thinking about putting a container home on a property of mine in the future. It's been a dream of mine to set aside a small plot of land and live a more minimalistic lifestyle and a tiny home would be perfect for that. I don't need a ton of space.

It would be so awesome to see happen. It would save Habitat for Humanity a lot of money, and it could end up serving more Americans too. It takes a while to build a home, but a container home could probably be built in half the time, if not, less time it takes to build a standard American home.

I think it would also result in more candidates being accepted into free & affordable housing. Maybe one day they won't even have to build the homes, they could have them mass produced and fully furnished when delivered to the recipients. Which could result in people getting into their homes faster too.

I've been thinking about putting a container home on a property of mine in the future. It's been a dream of mine to set aside a small plot of land and live a more minimalistic lifestyle and a tiny home would be perfect for that. I don't need a ton of space.
I could see that happening. I'm pretty sure they already ship out custom/prebuilt homes already assembled. I could see that working quite well with container homes.

Never heard of the organization called Habitat for Humanity but if they have secured the permits to build affordable houses for poor people, this is certainly a good move. I believe everyone should have their own living place no matter how much money they have as having a house is also a basic human rights.

Never heard of the organization called Habitat for Humanity but if they have secured the permits to build affordable houses for poor people, this is certainly a good move. I believe everyone should have their own living place no matter how much money they have as having a house is also a basic human rights.
It's a service in the US (not sure if they support other countries) that helps build affordable housing for people without housing. They will usually give the house to a family in need, who will be responsible to take care of it from then on. It's been around a long time and they often build the houses for them too.

I knew a family who lost their home to a fire and they were given a new home from Habitat for Humanity. It is usually a community driven thing, where the community will come together, help build a house, and will even do fundraisers to help raise funds for food and clothing.

I think what they are doing is awesome, and if it results in more people receiving a home to live in, that's even better.

Securing permits for affordable housing project is a very crucial step and it is what would bring the much needed housing solution to different kinds of communities. Habitat for Humanity has made a giant stride and it is commendable.

Back