Heritage-Crystal Clean Compliance Measures

Shortie

Jul 9, 2023
A non-hazardous and hazardous waste service provider, Heritage-Crystal Clean is set to pay over $1.16 million in civil penalties and also undertake measures in compliance following violations of regulations for hazardous waste. This is as announced by the U.S. DOJ and EPA.

Mismanagement of certain solvents at its facilities situated in areas that have environmental justice concerns in Georgia, Louisiana, Colorado, Pennsylvania and Indiana are the violations that are being pertained.

The settlement that has been proposed restricts specific facilities from storing, disposing or treating certain hazardous waste solvents without the correct permits. This could incur an estimated cost of at least $1.60 million for compliance.

This development has come in a short space of time after Heritage-Crystal Clean's acquisition by J.F Lehman & Co. for $1.2 billion. The violations were for citing improper transportation, handling and storage of hazardous waste which was raised by the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality and Indiana in January 2022.

The settlement mandates compliance measures at multiple facilities which is subject to a 30-day public comment period and court approval. If this mandate is approved, acceptable solvent reuse, applying for an RCRA permit in Indianapolis, refraining from using gravity separation for resale, distribution of educational materials and conducting frequent inspections must be ensured by Heritage-Crystal Clean.

The settlement aims to reduce volatile organic compound emissions and minimize risk exposures in communities with potential environmental justice concerns.

You can read more about this development here

That's a lot in penalties, but I'm going to guess this company has more than enough money. I think these companies should be penalized more for breaking these rules, especially when it come to hazardous material or any material that could be a threat to humans, animals and the water supply. It's especially concerning when the company was bought for $1.2B dollars, so that $1.16M in penalties probably means nothing to them, and I can see them continue to break these rules if the penalties are just a dent in their wealth.

That's a lot in penalties, but I'm going to guess this company has more than enough money. I think these companies should be penalized more for breaking these rules, especially when it come to hazardous material or any material that could be a threat to humans, animals and the water supply. It's especially concerning when the company was bought for $1.2B dollars, so that $1.16M in penalties probably means nothing to them, and I can see them continue to break these rules if the penalties are just a dent in their wealth.
Yeah it doesn't seem like that much of a penalty when they could be worth billions. Which is scary, because they could break these rules and it'll be as if it's a slap on the wrist. The fines and penalties should increase each time they break the rules. So that eventually it does start to weigh on them.

I think more needs to be done with these big companies, because I don't think it's enough of a penalty. They can probably make that money back in no time as well.

It is alarming to see Heritage-Crystal Clean's violation of hazardous waste regulations and the potential harm it poses to communities with environmental justice concerns. Strict penalties and compliance measures are necessary, and the focus on reducing emissions and protecting vulnerable communities is commendable. Environmental regulations must be diligently followed to prevent future harm.

As an individual who values environmental responsibility, news of companies falling short in managing hazardous waste is very disheartening. Companies neglecting their duty to handle hazardous materials properly is not good for the sustainability of society. The violations in multiple states and the subsequent settlement proposal highlight the need for stringent regulations and thorough enforcement to safeguard both the environment and the communities.

Seeing these companies constantly breaking these rules is heartbreaking. They should be dealing with these hazardous materials that could cause serious threats to humans.

These companies need to be penalized as the rules they are breaking are dangerous towards us humans.

Back