HUD’s Landmark Updates to Manufactured Home Standards

Total posts
Interesting article on the changes to the HUD Standards. Will help make things much more affordable in the long run in the rural communities.

Attachments

• HUD.jpg
    HUD.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 5
Hi Dave, thanks for dropping by and sharing this info! I really like your website, including your blog page where you posted this update.

I wasn't aware there were federal standards for manufactured homes. I assume HUD's standards overlap with ICC international/state building codes, so that by meeting the HUD Code, buyers of these homes will meet most building codes, without having to alter their manufactured home. As someone who works day-to-day in environmental permitting, not building/planning, wondering if the HUD Code often gets incorporated into building codes, or if the federal HUD code is something completely separate?

Yes and no. The HUD codes are standalone and are recognized in all 50 states I believe. They are completely seperate from the ICC codes. HUD Codes came into effect in 1976 and created the definition of a "Manufactured Home" at that time, and homes built under similar models (but not the same codes) were defined as "mobile homes". Mobile homes are no longer allowed in most counties with modern codes as they don't meet the same standards.

At the end of the day, the HUD codes are a lesser standard than the ICC, but they are built in a safe and efficient manner, hence their attraction to many buyers. Where I have worked, in rural counties, manufactured homes represented a large percentage of the permits that we issued each year.

Thanks for the explanation!

It also seems interesting that the HUD Code provides nationally mandated standards for manufactured homes as compared with the "adopted code" approach used for state/local building codes. I guess the difference is that manufactured homes involve a factory construction element, kind of like how we build cars (which likewise have their own federal standards).

Another thought: Administering the HUD Code, and any compliance/inspections that goes along with that, would also seem vastly simpler given the centralized factory production of manufactured homes. Perhaps if all building construction occurred in a handful of facilities across the country, we'd have national building code too?

Just interesting thinking about the federal vs. local regulatory aspect of all this... Thanks again for sharing!

Thank you for sharing. Do you think the new codes can help improve the long-term value of these manufactured homes? I imagine that will entice more lenders to open financing options for those in need.

In another corner of my head, it's scary to hear how we are running out of land so fast.

I can't believe that it's been 50 years since the last one was passed. So much has changed in the industry since then. The government sure moves slowly. At least we're moving in a positive direction, though.

Back