Importance of waiting for a permit

Emily C

Total posts
Hi all!
I stumbled upon a thread on Reddit last night that I wanted to share with this group about this person's regret for not waiting for a permit.
The thread is here, basically, they applied for a permit to build a shed, ordered materials, and then got a call from the city that let him know the permit could not be approved due to the placement of the shed being on an easement. So now they're stuck w/ all these materials because they can't build it.

The comments are horrible, advising the OP to just build it anyway, or build it on the easement in such a way that it can be moved, or build it on a weekend when the city won't know about it (lol, don't do this).

Anyway, I just wanted to share, because it's a good reminder to wait for the permit before ordering the materials. ;)

Yeah definitely don't go and build it. There's a reason they declined it. If they can take care of the easement, I'm sure they can reapply for the permit to build the shed. I also don't buy supplies until my permit is confirmed and ready to go.

Always wait for the permit to clear before doing anything. And those telling him to build without the permit, likely don't care if he gets penalized or not. Some of them may have even gotten away with building unpermitted, but there is a chance it could still come back to bite them.

Patience is key, and I know having to wait isn't always ideal, but everyone is in the same boat and has to wait just like the rest of us. Patience goes a long way though, because there will be times when thigs take a tad bit longer than usual.

I always tell people to be patient, wait it out. Especially when it comes to buying material. Don't ever rush into buying material unless you have the go ahead to do so, as in the permit was obtained.

As for the people responding on reddit, they can be awfully dumb at times. Telling someone to build unpermitted, will definitely come back to bite them later. It always seems to happen.

The comments are horrible, advising the OP to just build it anyway, or build it on the easement in such a way that it can be moved, or build it on a weekend when the city won't know about it (lol, don't do this).
The best case scenario in that situation is that he'll receive a fine. The worst case scenario will likely mean he's hit with a lawsuit. What foolish advice.

I know the Redditor is dealing with a difficult yard, but he could probably make it work by clearing one of his hills and using cement blocks as the foundation to further level things out.

Thanks so much for sharing this, Emily (and sorry for this belated reply :)). It's interesting how the anonymity of the internet brings out people's true nature in terms of willingness to skirt the law. Those sorts of flippant responses to "should I follow the regulatory requirements or disregard them and risk it?" are pretty common in my experience combing Reddit. It's unfortunate, but I think it's also good that we have forums like Reddit (any maybe this one?) where honest attitudes toward code compliance are expressed. Kind of keeps us in government a little more grounded in terms of knowing how John Q. Public is thinking and operating when it comes to the authorities we're administering.

One should definitely get a building permit before you start buying materials. It might seem like an extra step, but trust me, it's worth it. A permit makes sure your project follows all the rules and safety standards. It's like having a roadmap that tells you what you can and can't do.

Plus, if you run into any problems later, having a permit can save you a ton of headaches and money. Imagine starting to build and then realizing you need to redo everything because you didn't follow the right rules. It's much easier to plan ahead and get the green light before you dive in.

Here's a handy guide to building permits that might be helpful: Residential Vs Commercial Building Permits. However, the processes for varied project typologies may differ from each other. This article discusses the approach for residential and commercial building permits in comparison.

You can put materials on hold until a permit is approved. It is very shortsighted to buy something, not knowing if you can use it or not.

At least with Home Depot there is a return policy that's even better if you use their card versus your own own.

Trending topics

Latest U.S. topics

Back