Legality of owning a wolf-dog in Arkansas

Jake

Oct 30, 2023
What is the legality of owning a wolf-dog in Arkansas? Well it's completely legal to own a wolf-dog, or any "Wolf-Dog hybrid", and a permit is not required. But, the owner must make it known that their dog is a cross between a wolf and a domestic dog, and it can't be by just its appearance alone. There are some rules for caring for a wolf-dog, like the dog having to be fenced in. You could face legal consequences, and possibly be charged with a Class A Felony if your wolf-dog ends up biting a person or killing another animal.

Which is why it's probably best to not adopt a wolf-dog period. Even though they may be legal to own as pets, it's not recommended due to how aggressive they can be. They aren't easy to control or train either, and are known to have destructive behavior. It is recommended, that you should maintain distance when a wolf-dog become agitated or aggressive and to call your local authorities if so.

You can read more about the legality of owning a wolf-dog by following this article here - KKYR

I figure some places do and don't require permits for owning a wolf-dog. Here in Michigan, we have a lot of them, but we do require people file a permit before taking ownership of one, as well if you're ever convicted for animal abuse, you're disqualified from ever owning such an animal. Then again, I think most pets should be blocked from adoption if that is the case.

But yeah, makes sense to acknowledge that you own a wolf-dog. At least put up a "Beware of Dog" sign all around your property while you're at it.

I figure some places do and don't require permits for owning a wolf-dog. Here in Michigan, we have a lot of them, but we do require people file a permit before taking ownership of one, as well if you're ever convicted for animal abuse, you're disqualified from ever owning such an animal. Then again, I think most pets should be blocked from adoption if that is the case.

But yeah, makes sense to acknowledge that you own a wolf-dog. At least put up a "Beware of Dog" sign all around your property while you're at it.
Yeah it depends on the location, as some places are fine with it, while in Arkansas there are some rules you must adhere to. And I agree, if you're ever convicted of any form of animal abuse, you should never be able to adopt or care for animals ever again. No second chances in regards to that.

Would you ever adopt a wolf-dog yourself? I don't think I could, they seem like high-maintenance pets, and of course highly dangerous, so yeah, not a pet I can see myself owning.

I wouldn't purposefully adopt such a dog, but how rough would it be to not know that your dog fell into this classification? Maybe it's really obvious.

Back