Nuclear Powered Data Centers? They are coming!

W3 Planning and Research

Total posts
New emergning tech in nano and micro nuclear power is emerging as the likely source for power for large data centers all over the world. Please read my article below.

Would love your thoughts on this emerging tech!

Attachments

• 261e9956-2631-4932-9a08-fbb68632119c-scaled.jpg
    261e9956-2631-4932-9a08-fbb68632119c-scaled.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 1
Interesting article! My (limited) understanding is that FERC approves nuclear power plants and this process currently takes an extremely long time. I think it's fair to say that permitting for data centers currently happens a lot faster than for nuclear power plants. It seems like getting these two timelines within range of each other will be critical to making micro reactor-powered data centers work.

It is actually moving much faster than it was before. These are much easier to spin up than a full reactor. Microsoft spinning up Three Mile Island was a true surprise this last week, but one of these micro reactors was already approved in Wyoming.

I'm a little wary of combining high electricity output with potentially unstable nuclear power, but doing it on a smaller scale may make things easier to control. It's good to hear that the government is speeding up the development of nuclear power reactors, but I hope the permit system will help all parties to prepare for safety.

Trending topics

Latest U.S. topics

Back