NYC Landmarks Commission Debuts Digital Permitting

Jake

Oct 30, 2023
I have some good news to share, as The New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) recently unveiled a new digital permit program called Portico. It is a new streamlined permitting platform, mostly intended for owners of landmark properties who intend to renovate and or modernize. Multiple users will be able to file, review their applications, and upload important documents at the same time.

Another great thing about Portico, is that the program will help guide users through what is needed to apply for certain permits. As well, the system can help some applicants get expedited reviews. This is a big change since they recently went by paper & email applications. The change is part of Mayor Eric Adams' recovery plan for the city. The intent of the platform is to modernize and be more accessible to all. They want to provide an optimized digital experience when it comes to managing your permits in the city. Especially when it comes to New York's historic buildings and sites.

Story here: Gov Tech

Cool, it's always good news to me when there is talk of renovation and even modernizing certain landmark locations. I mainly am for renovation of these landmarks, especially in New York, because you're going to have some decent landmarks around the city. Preserving them is ideal to keeping that rich history intact.

Thanks for sharing. It's great seeing city agencies improve their permitting workflows by implementing new online systems like this. The platform actually sounds a lot like Google Docs or Box in terms of its online collaboration capabilities, i.e., "by allowing multiple users to file and review applications...at the same time." It's definitely more efficient to have applicants and permitting staff all working together on the same set of documents as compared to having multiple versions floating around in everyone's inboxes. This might be especially useful for permitting renovations to historic properties/landmarks where you have additional experts (e.g., architectural historians) involved in the review process.

It is good to mention that the digital permitting by the NYC landmarks commission marks a milestone in modernizing the City's regulatory processes and from my point of view, this transition to digital platform would help to enhance efficiency and it will reduce administrative burden as well.

Back