Permit required for standalone catio?

Cass

Total posts
I'm a contractor and should be able to find the answer, but I've gotten nowhere, so came here out of frustration. I'm in California. A client hired us to build a standalone catio. If you don't know, a catio is a structure that allows the cat to be outside in a safe environment. There are many different varieties. A catio can be as complicated as a wooden house, multiple perches, and a fenced in area for the cats to roam, to as simple as a wire basket with a perch that extends out a window on the main house.

This particular client wants a standalone catio. It will consist of a large kennel (about 19 feet long by 17 feet wide) that will be used as a play area. This enclosed fencing will sit directly on the ground. Then we'll pour the concrete foundation that will hold the cat house. We're going to add a metal rough on top of the whole structure to enclose both the cat house and the fencing. Do I need to obtain a building permit for this catio?

Normally, you wouldn't need a permit for a catio, but due to the sheer size of the structure, plus the fact that we're pouring concrete for the foundation that the cat house will sit on, makes me think that we might. What's your verdict?

Cass,
Structures over 120 sq. ft. require a permit in California. I suggest you contact the Building Department of the City in which this catio is proposed to be built. Planning most likely will have height restrictions as well as distance to property lines.

Instead of a roof, fasten a tarp over the area. No need for a roof, really, if it's just a dog run. Technically, it's not a structure to be permitted because of the intended use.

As Jeff said, get with the building department and get a list of all codes relevant to the project.

Sounds like the owner has money though, so there shouldn't be a problem absorbing the cost of a permit.

I suggest you contact the Building Department of the City in which this catio is proposed to be built.
I tried that first, but received mixed messages about the permit requirement. That's unusual for this particular department. They typically know their stuff, but it seems I'm the first to inquire about a standalone catio.

In this instance, I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry, so I'll go ahead and pull a building permit. Good point about the budget, High Voltage. It's not like the cost of a permit or two is going to break them.

Whether you need a permit for a standalone catio in California depends on several factors, including:
  • Size and location: If your catio is small and located on your property, you may not need a permit. However, if it is large or located near a property line, you may need to obtain a permit from your local zoning department.
  • Type of materials: If you are using materials that are not typically allowed in your neighborhood, such as wood or metal, you may need to obtain a permit.
  • Foundation: If your catio has a foundation, you may need to obtain a permit from your local building department.
It is important to check with your local zoning and building departments or consult with a permit expediter to determine if you need a permit for your standalone catio. You can typically find their contact information on your city or county website.

You can also read this guide on Commercial and Residential Permits to have a better understanding.

Trending topics

Latest U.S. topics

Back