Permit system to stop over-tourism

Calico

Total posts
I first heard about the problem of having too many tourists in Japan, but now European countries are affected too. Do you think a permit different from a visa can solve this issue? I don't mind applying for the permit if it means not getting sprayed with water pistols or fined for hiking in the wrong shoes.

I don't mind applying for the permit if it means not getting sprayed with water pistols or fined for hiking in the wrong shoes.
Okay, I have to ask where tourists are getting sprayed with water pistols. It can't be in the United States, since we love our deadly guns too much to mess around with water pistols. I would like to apply for the job of water pistol sprayer. It sounds like a hoot.

Setting up additional hoops for would-be tourists to jump through would likely cut down on visitors. I'm sure each permit would carry a fee, which would also impact the number of people who came over. I think it's unwise to implement either of those options, though, since many cities rely on the income from tourism.

This BBC article says the local protesters in Barcelona are taking things into their own hands.

I know it's frustrating. I will be mad if I'm late for work because the public transport is full of tourists, for example. But how do we deal with the income loss? I believe there are still ways to control the number of visitors, limit their movement, or punish them for causing disturbances without blocking them completely.

Trending topics

Latest U.S. topics

Back