Permits for the Olympics

Fenix

Total posts
Just for fun, which types of permits do you think had to be pulled for the 2024 Olympics in Paris? I've noticed there are several food vendors about; I'd say each vendor needed various food safety permits.

Considering the Olympic Committee basically builds its own village in whichever town decides to host the Olympics, I would say every permit imaginable.

Then again, I hear that every host city loses financially on the deal, so maybe the Committee gets all of their permit fees waived.

I think the host country is responsible for building all the Olympics accommodations and infrastructure, so permitting would just depend on that country's laws and regulatory requirements.

Sometimes, to make things easy, a country will just waive a bunch of laws for a specific project at the national level. For example, the U.S. recently waived a bunch of environmental laws in order to complete a section of border wall in Texas. I imagine an Olympics host country might use that kind of approach to ensure they're able to host on time and avoid what might otherwise be years of red tape.

I believe preparations for the Olympics usually start early because the events are announced long before the set time. It also makes sense for the host country to accommodate as much as possible in the worst-case scenario. After all, prestige is also important.

I had friends traveling to see some games in the past, so I wonder if tourism could somehow compensate for the financial loss.

Trending topics

Latest U.S. topics

Back