U.S. Supreme Court is Reviewing Building Fee Dispute Case

Nomad

Aug 26, 2023
The U.S. Supreme Court is reviewing a building fee dispute case that was originally filed in El Dorado County, California. The case is involved with a $23,420 building fee dispute. The outcome of this case might change how cities and counties validate impact fees, which are levied on new construction to counter local infrastructure impacts.

The impact fees inflate costs for already pricey housing projects, therefore this case holds immense significance for California. If the Court imposes stricter limits on these fees, it might impede local governments that are heavily dependent on impact fees. The county defends its fees and states that limiting impact fees could jeopardize its ability to finance crucial infrastructure and development initiatives.

You can read more about this case here

El Dorado County, California, United States
They just find new ways of penalizing people for wanting to build homes. So if I moved over to El Dorado Country, California and built a small house on my own property, I could face a $20K + charge? That is robbery if I ever did hear it. How much did it cost him to build the house in the first place?

I think I will never live in California if this is a thing that happens all throughout. I know the cost of living there is high, but there's no chance for me to build a home there if it could cost that much with an impact fee.

I hope this man wins his case and doesn't have to pay $23K extra that he shouldn't even have to pay.

Back