What Kind of Permits Do You Require in California to Set Up a Movable Home

Nomad

Aug 26, 2023
Movable homes, also called Mobile homes, are factory-manufactured homes that are manufactured in factories and moved on a trailer chassis to a location where they can be set up to create a liveable home. You need land where you can set up your home. What kind of permits do you require to set up mobile homes in California? Where can you get these permits from?

Movable homes, also called Mobile homes, are factory-manufactured homes that are manufactured in factories and moved on a trailer chassis to a location where they can be set up to create a liveable home. You need land where you can set up your home. What kind of permits do you require to set up mobile homes in California? Where can you get these permits from?

As with any building/construction project, I'm sure the answer varies depending on the requirements of the local jurisdiction that you're seeking to locate the mobile home in. So it's probably not so much what California requires but what's required by the city/municipal building department.

For San Diego County, where I am, I found this document that lists all the requirements for placing a mobile home on private land. The requirements include obtaining a building permit and Certificate of Occupancy from San Diego's Planning & Development Services Department, among a variety of other requirements (e.g., non-combustible exterior wall finish, roof pitch and materials requirements, etc.). I imagine requirements are similar in other parts of California but, like I said, you'd need to consult your local building department to learn what specifically is needed.

From what I was able to gather, you will have to submit an application to California Department of Housing and Community Development. To do any kind of work on your mobile home, manufactured home, commercial modular etc, you must submit an application for this Permit. All applications must be completed using Codes and Standards Online Services (C&S OS) of California.

Setting up a tiny house or a movable home requires various permits and it also need approvals in California. As far as I can tell, the permit that it requires may include zoning permits, building permit for foundation, and possibly it may require transportation and installation permit.

Back