Why does permit require their approved electrician?

Davenport

Total posts
It seems like a money racket to me. In order to have my building permit approved, the electrical work must be completed by an electrician who has been registered and approved by the city. Why can't I hire a family member to do the job, who is a licensed electrician? I'm not knowledgeable about electrical work, but if I had the know-how, I'd certainly want to take it on in order to save a few bucks. So, why is the city able to control who does the job?

I understand your frustration, but I can't emphasize enough how deadly bad wiring can be. Not only can you get electrocuted, but it could cause a house fire that quickly spreads through the whole block. So not only will multiple people be displaced, but it also means using the emergency responders, which can take a lot of resources. There's also the knock on effect of having insurance rates go up for everyone, since insurance companies have long taken advantage of disasters to raise their fees. Additionally, electrical issues are hard to detect during an inspection, so the best way to keep people safe is to ensure that they've used a licensed and vetted electrician. At least that's how I see it, anyway.

Trending topics

Latest U.S. topics

Back