Would supplemental permits be necessary for ADUs in the future?

Chris_Sows_32

Total posts
In my county, permits are needed for ADUs but I have yet to see supplemental permits needed. As ADUs are transitioning into a form of permanent housing, I am wondering if the need for supplemental permits might be needed for specifically ADUs in the near future.

Ah OK. I'm not sure what your county requires but where I work, we require a complete set of plans & permits for all aspects of the ADU ( structural, elec. plbg. mech.sewer. energy)

Thank you for asking what the OP meant, I had the same question.
I would think so; an ADU is a separate structure. The only time we may not is if it's a conversion and the actual shell of the bldg is already there. But if it's a new build, we'd require the same documents we require for a NSFR.

Yes, they would be required for conversion from an accessory structure (sheds, offices, yoga studios, etc) to an accessory dwelling units. They become ADU's when the are used for habitation and fall under different codes and regulations. The requirements are different when you intend for someone to live in them, primarily for egress and type of construction. The bottom line is that the codes are intended to ensure that everything is safe for someone to live in the structure, and you definetely want them to be code compliant so no one gets hurt.

Back