Yavapai County will expand $65,000 home program

Jake

Oct 30, 2023
Affordable housing, here we come. Yavapai County's "Home of My Own" Program will be expanding upon their $65,000 home program to help bring more affordable housing to the area. The program, which was launched back in 2020, offered a set of pre-approved plans that were for one, two, and three-bedroom homes. It was a way to expedite the permitting process.

If you're a homeowner in the area, you can download plans, submit them for review, and even expect your permits around three business days. This could take up to seven days otherwise.

The programs intent is to streamline the permitting process, in turn reducing the time for plan reviews. The only downside is that homeowners will still need to obtain permits for water and septic. But the good news there, is that you can get them processed at the same time as your building permit.

So far the program seems to be a success. 61 permits have been issued and so far 19 homes have been completed. Due to this, it has led to new plans that will involve three new sets of designs that incorporate user feedback. The aim is to offer affordable house options for those in needs. So far a one-bedroom home averages around $65,000, of course excluding land and utility costs.

I think it's a step into the right direction. If these houses are being given to families in need, even better, because we need to see more affordable housing all over the world.

You can read more about the program here - Red Rock News

That's great, and seeing that 19 homes have been created in these 4 years, is quite nice. That's 19 families able to have a bedroom of their own, or just a roof over their heads. Even the one-bedroom homes sound appealing, but since I have a family, I'd have to go the three bedroom house at least. I hope they add more rooms in future options.

I'm quite surprised that more people haven't taken advantage of the opportunity, but then again, I guess that's not a bad number for just one county. I hope more municipalities will follow in their footsteps.

I'm quite surprised that more people haven't taken advantage of the opportunity, but then again, I guess that's not a bad number for just one county. I hope more municipalities will follow in their footsteps.
Yeah I thought the same. 19 homes completed in such a short time is great. I assume the 61 that have permits are hard at work on their homes, so those numbers could be better in the next few years, at least in terms of completed house builds.

Back