Building Department called a meeting

Cass

Total posts
I submitted my plans, including the permit applications, the materials list, and the blueprints, for a renovation project in California City. The scope of work involves turning the top floor of a boutique into a living space for the new owners. They'll continue to run their business on the first floor, while the second story will become their permanent family home. It's a complicated renovation, but nothing I haven't seen before.

I thought the application process was fairly straightforward. I made a rookie mistake, though. I didn't keep a copy of the application for my files. So when the Building Department called me today to request a meeting, I had nothing to refer back to which might explain why. I emailed the department to ask for clarification, but I was basically told that even though my application looked okay, they still had some questions for me that were best discussed in person rather than over the phone.

Unfortunately, the earliest they could meet is two weeks from now. I don't want to stew over this application and overthink it, so can you please help me guess what might've happened? What are some reasons that a Building Department would call such a meeting? I have to admit that this is a first for me.

Most likely they want clarification and may have concerns ( exiting, structural, fire separation...) which are better discussed in person while reviewing the plans with you.

Well, they've pushed the meeting back, so I'll be waiting a while to find out. I just hope no one has objected to my project. I believe I filled out the application thoroughly, but you could be right, Jeff. That's what I'm hoping for, at least.

Trending topics

Latest U.S. topics

Back