Civil Rights And The Homeless

High Voltage

Total posts
I found a discussion on Reddit last night that I found intriguing. It was about the homeless problem in a major metro area and how there are so many reasons for different people and familes being homeless. It used to be just certain types of people living on the streets, now it's a wide cross-section of society.

So the ones who, for whatever reason, do not want help when help is available, (all cities need more services for this) their civil rights should be taken away and be made a ward of the state. Don't put them in a prison setting, just a controlled environment where the state has total control over their lives. Not the Feds, mind you, but the state.

What do you guys think of this prospect?

I think it's disingenuous to pretend there are hordes of people who simply choose to be homeless. Also, we've already tried government run poorhouses/workhouses. The impoverished residents suffered mightily.

With a lot of them, it's not so much that they choose homelessness but rather don't want to conform to rules. At all. Homelessness is just a by-product of that decision, and the longer you're out there on the streets, the harder it is to acclimate back into society.

Statistics show that many of us are just two missed paychecks away from homelessness ourselves. I see it as a result of poverty rather than choice. I'm not sure how to fix the situation, though. Remember when tiny homes were thought to be a key towards ending homelessness? Well, it turns out that many districts are zoned against it, so owners aren't able to get a permit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back