Do you need a permit to collect rainwater in Michigan?

Winny

Oct 30, 2023
I'm thinking about collecting rainwater, and I want to set up a system to where I can collect it yearly. Either to use for drinking, my garden, or even for an outdoor shower system. I want to buy a big tub or water storage container and collect it for later use. I figure could save some money on my monthly water bill.

Do I need to have a permit to collect rainwater? If so, what do I need to do in order to collect rainwater?

The good news is that you don't have to obtain any permits to collect rainwater in Michigan. As long as you're using the water for gardening and personal use, you are fine to collect as much as you want.

The good news is that you don't have to obtain any permits to collect rainwater in Michigan. As long as you're using the water for gardening and personal use, you are fine to collect as much as you want.
That's good to know. I've always wanted to save on water and start collecting rain water. I could see myself using it for drinking water and even the bathe in or use for gardening. Or just about anything really.

Plus, I know there are a lot of people starting to collect rain water, especially with the way the world is going, you never know when you'll need a surplus of water on hand.

Top posters this month

Back