Law on Suspended License in California

Korner6

Aug 28, 2023
It seems California is getting a little soft on their License Suspensions. From what I understand in the article, they can reinstate suspended licenses depending on individual circumstances. That seems a bit too subjective to me?

The old law used to have those who failed to appear in court get their license suspended, but the new law stops this from happening. To me, it's one less reason for someone to actually make a court appearance if they don't receive any consequences?

I believe that the new California law on license suspensions is a step towards fairness. It acknowledges that individual circumstances can sometimes warrant a different approach instead of a blanket punishment.

They kind of do as they will still be issued an arrest warrant for failing to make it to their court date, so there are still some repercussions for failing to do so. It seems to put the attention on the police to handle otherwise. They can still also lose their license if they accrue too many points on it.

As for reinstatement of your license, a person will still need to wait out their suspension before they can re-apply for a license. So it's not like they're free to drive without consequences, just that it's a little different now.

I believe that the new California law on license suspensions is a step towards fairness. It acknowledges that individual circumstances can sometimes warrant a different approach instead of a blanket punishment.
This I agree with, I have known in the past for some to have their license suspended for something that would normally not warrant that kind of punishment. Changing it like they seem to have will as you stated, acknowledge the individual circumstances instead of treating everyone the same depending on the crime committed.

The source article is one year old. Have they made any changes to this law, or is it in still practice? As far as I know there are various reasons for risk losing licenses in California. Some of the common reasons are driving in an uninsured vehicle, not having a valid license, and failing to pay child support. Suspended licenses can be easily reinstated by paying court penalties or proving compliance.

Back