New concealed carry law will allow 18-year-olds to have guns without permit starting Fourth of July

Winny

Oct 30, 2023
I don't know how I feel about this. I believe 18 year old's should still have to file a permit in order to conceal carry a gun, but it seems like there will be a new rules taking affect starting July 4th. Those aged 18 and up, will be able to conceal carry their guns without a permits. As long as these people aren't convicted of a felony for previously carrying a gun, they should be legally allowed to now.

There are some restrictions though, like needing to be at least 1000 feet away from school zones, and no firearm zones. As well, you are unable to enter any places that sell or serve alcohol. And if you end up traveling, you will need a permit for reciprocity.

The person partly responsible for the new ruling is Governor Landry, signed Senate Bill 1 back in March. The big problem for me though, is that Louisiana had the second highest rate of gun related deaths in 2021. So enacting a bill like this to give people easier access to guns, is really not a good look imo.

But, what do you guys think of this? Do you like that 18 year olds can now conceal carry without the need for a permit or even validated training? Do you think this could help the gun violence or further make it worse in the area?

Read the full story on this here: KSLA

Not a big fan of this, because I don't think allowing 18 years old to have even easier access to guns makes sense to solve it the problem with gun violence. It also doesn't help, like you said @Winny about how Louisiana had some of the worst gun violence back in 2021. I don't know how this would have a positive affect on gun violence, but I suppose we'll see.

Top posters this month

Back