NYC street vendors say city's permitting system is failing

Jake

Total posts
Street vendors in the NYC area are having issues as of late when it comes to the city's permitting system. People are claiming that they're unable to obtain permits. Which is resulting in people setting up shop without the required permits.

One incident recently has sparked some outrage, as a 14 year old was handcuffed while selling fruit in Battery Park. You can see a video of it at the article listed below this post.

There are major operational challenges with the current permitting system that has been causing issues. Like inefficiencies and backlogs. It's so bad it's nearly impossible for venders to obtain the approval needed to move forward. With the growing amount of venders in the picture, it doesn't help that they have an outdated system that continues to fail.

The city is losing out big time on these permitting delays. They are especially losing lots revenue as this continues to be an ongoing problem.

All venders want is for the system to be modernized and more streamlined. They want legal street vending. Not only will this help the city, it'll help the venders too. Plus it's a good thing for the economy.

Check out more on this story here: CBS News

The fact they handcuffed that boy is crazy to me. Just wasting more money and to waste people's time.

Hopefully some changes are made soon to alleviate the stresses the city has put on these venders. And hopefully they can get this permit process moving faster.

Street vendors in the NYC area are having issues as of late when it comes to the city's permitting system. People are claiming that they're unable to obtain permits. Which is resulting in people setting up shop without the required permits.

One incident recently has sparked some outrage, as a 14 year old was handcuffed while selling fruit in Battery Park. You can see a video of it at the article listed below this post.

There are major operational challenges with the current permitting system that has been causing issues. Like inefficiencies and backlogs. It's so bad it's nearly impossible for venders to obtain the approval needed to move forward. With the growing amount of venders in the picture, it doesn't help that they have an outdated system that continues to fail.

The city is losing out big time on these permitting delays. They are especially losing lots revenue as this continues to be an ongoing problem.

All venders want is for the system to be modernized and more streamlined. They want legal street vending. Not only will this help the city, it'll help the venders too. Plus it's a good thing for the economy.

Check out more on this story here: CBS News
That's terrible about the 14 year old! Street vending is such a big part of the character of NYC, and it's frustrating to see these hardworking people struggle with permits.

The permitting system sounds totally broken. An outdated system with a backlog is a recipe for chaos, and it hurts everyone involved. The city loses revenue, vendors can't work legally, and customers miss out on those delicious street eats!

I hope they can modernize the system soon. A streamlined process would benefit everyone – the city gets its fees, vendors can operate legally, and we all get to enjoy those tasty treats!

That's terrible about the 14 year old! Street vending is such a big part of the character of NYC, and it's frustrating to see these hardworking people struggle with permits.

The permitting system sounds totally broken. An outdated system with a backlog is a recipe for chaos, and it hurts everyone involved. The city loses revenue, vendors can't work legally, and customers miss out on those delicious street eats!

I hope they can modernize the system soon. A streamlined process would benefit everyone – the city gets its fees, vendors can operate legally, and we all get to enjoy those tasty treats!
It's crazy that they saw reason to handcuff a child like this. I get he may have been breaking the law, but I don't think there was any need to handcuff him.

It is very broken, I hope they can figure out a solution to fix it that actually works, and works fast too. Because there are probably tons of people waiting to get that permit, and all the while they're stuck waiting and losing money. What else can they do aside from illegally setting up shop when the system isn't working for them.

I think changes will be made, but it's going to be slow process.

Doesn't make sense, I don't think the kid was causing issues, just was unpermitted. Cops often take it too far. I don't think it was necessary to handcuff him.

Same. I hate seeing how so many are affected by this. Not only the vendors, but the city is hurting too with the lost money from all of this. If they can figure something out that helps them streamline things, I can see that money helping the city even more down the road. But they have to put in the work to address these issues and make fixes asap.

Trending topics

Latest U.S. topics

Back