Redditor wants to know, who is the 'Applicant' and 'Contractor' on building permit applications?

Jake

Oct 30, 2023
I found an interesting question on Reddit recently, under the r/Contractor subreddit. You guys were the first I thought of, so I'd love to hear you answers on this.

A redditor is looking for advice on the building permit application process. He isn't sure about how to identify who the 'Applicant' is versus the 'Contractor' on the form. There is confusion about who should be listed. They're seeking guidance on the correct process so they don't make any mistakes.

For the reddit post, you can find that here: r/Contractor

Usually the applicant is the person filing in charge of the project, which is usually the property owner, but could be something like a property manager.

They are the ones responsible for making sure the permit conditions go as planned. As well that communication is kept up with the permitting authority.

As for the contractor, it's usually the person doing all the contractor work. It should include their business name, license number, and of course contact information. You want to make sure any contractor is properly documented.

Other than that, you want to also make sure that all sections on the application are filling out properly. Make sure to double check everything. But mainly the license numbers, and contact details. This way you it helps you avoid delays in getting it approved.

Just make sure you provide clear and complete information so the process goes smoothly.

Hi @Jake,

it's common for homeowners to be unsure about who the applicant is on a building permit application. Here's how to break it down:

• Applicant: This is the property owner, the person who is requesting permission to do the construction work. In most cases, this will be the homeowner.
  • Contractor: This is the licensed professional you hire to complete the construction project according to the approved plans.
So, on the building permit application, the homeowner (you) should be listed as the applicant. The contractor might need to provide some information on the application as well, but they won't be the official applicant.

If you're still unsure, it's always best to check with your local building department. They can clarify the specific requirements for your area and answer any questions you have about the application process.

Here are some additional tips for the redditor:
  • Contact local building department: They can provide the exact application forms and instructions specific to your area.
  • Review the application form carefully: It should clearly define who the applicant and contractor are.
  • Work with a licensed contractor: They can guide you through the permit application process and ensure everything is filled out correctly.
By following these steps, the redditor should be able to confidently identify the applicant and contractor on the building permit application.

Also can share the specific area where the looking for. I know a few local contractors in the Rockvill maryland area. They can help to do process more smoothly.

Appreciate the responses @Winny & @mattsharon. I believe these would be great answers to the redditor.
Hi @Jake,

it's common for homeowners to be unsure about who the applicant is on a building permit application. Here's how to break it down:

• Applicant: This is the property owner, the person who is requesting permission to do the construction work. In most cases, this will be the homeowner.
  • Contractor: This is the licensed professional you hire to complete the construction project according to the approved plans.
So, on the building permit application, the homeowner (you) should be listed as the applicant. The contractor might need to provide some information on the application as well, but they won't be the official applicant.

If you're still unsure, it's always best to check with your local building department. They can clarify the specific requirements for your area and answer any questions you have about the application process.

Here are some additional tips for the redditor:
  • Contact local building department: They can provide the exact application forms and instructions specific to your area.
  • Review the application form carefully: It should clearly define who the applicant and contractor are.
  • Work with a licensed contractor: They can guide you through the permit application process and ensure everything is filled out correctly.
By following these steps, the redditor should be able to confidently identify the applicant and contractor on the building permit application.

Also can share the specific area where the looking for. I know a few local contractors in the Rockvill maryland area. They can help to do process more smoothly.
This is an awesome detailed post, very informative and easy to understand. And when in doubt, it's always good to reach out to your local building department.

As for the specific area this is, I'm not sure. The redditor didn't seem to share their location. I myself live in Wisconsin.

Appreciate the responses @Winny & @mattsharon. I believe these would be great answers to the redditor.

This is an awesome detailed post, very informative and easy to understand. And when in doubt, it's always good to reach out to your local building department.

As for the specific area this is, I'm not sure. The redditor didn't seem to share their location. I myself live in Wisconsin.
Thanks! I'm glad you found the information helpful

The Applicant - is the entity initiating the construction or renovation project.
They are typically the property owner who is initiating the construction project or a designated representative working on behalf of the property owner. They submit the permit application, provide the necessary documentation, and handle associated fees.
The Contractor, on the other hand, is the entity hired by the property owner or developer to perform the construction work according to approved plans and codes. They must be identified with their contact details, license (if applicable), and other credentials on the permit form. Clear communication and understanding of their respective responsibilities are key to ensuring a smooth permit approval process.

Back