Understanding Pet Rules in Florida

Nomad

Aug 26, 2023
If you want to keep special pets in Florida, there's some new information about the rules. In Florida, it's allowed by state law to have different kinds of animals, but the kind of permit you need depends on what kind of animal you want to keep. Let's say you're thinking about getting an alligator. These animals are Class II wildlife. This means they could be dangerous to people. In order to keep an alligator as a pet, you'll need to get a personal pet permit (PPL). This permit costs $140 every year. You also have to show that you know how to take care of the alligator and that you have the right place for it to live. Don't forget, you can only keep animals that were born in captivity and come from a place that has the right permits. You can't keep wild animals, even if they're hurt or don't have anyone to take care of them.
Details about pet permits in Florida can be found here

Permit seems a bit costly to me, having to pay it every year, but I suppose when it comes to having wild animals as pets, it makes sense to have some measures like this in place. I sure hope those who do have these wild animals as pets, are trained professionals themselves.

Permit seems a bit costly to me, having to pay it every year, but I suppose when it comes to having wild animals as pets, it makes sense to have some measures like this in place. I sure hope those who do have these wild animals as pets, are trained professionals themselves.
I think when it comes to taking in a wild animal as a pet, the permit should be a bit higher. Plus, there is extra danger that comes with taking care of wild animals, so it makes sense a permit would cost more.

I am all for this. If you want to keep a potentially dangerous pet, or want to care for a group of them (maybe you have an animal shelter/animal sanctuary), then you may have to pay a bit extra for a permit.

It's important for states to have regulations in place when it comes to keeping exotic pets. Florida's requirement for a personal pet permit for Class II wildlife like alligators helps ensure responsible ownership and the safety of both the animal and the public. The cost and criteria for obtaining the permit may seem reasonable given the potential risks involved. Additionally, the restriction on keeping only captive-born animals with proper permits helps prevent illegal wildlife trade and supports conservation efforts.

As much as I feel the price is a little steep, it would make sense for it to be that steep being this is for wild animals and not for normal animals you would usually keep.

If nothing is put in place I can only imagine how many people would go crazy with wild animals, having a price this steep will deter those who just want them as pets from getting them just because they can.

Back