Bill signed into law allowing casitas in cities across Arizona

Jake

Oct 30, 2023
For those wondering, Casitas are essentially smaller homes, or smaller buildings that can be added to a single family property. They usually call them accessory dwelling units, or ADUs for short. I noticed a lot of other places accepting ADUs on properties, and it's cool to see Arizona taking the step too.

According to this article here - AZ Mirror - Gov. Katie Hobbs has signed into law two bipartisan bills the first one being House Bill 2720, which is to help increase Arizona's housing supply with the previously mentioned ADUs. Not only that though, the second bill put forward, House Bill 2721, which is to help push for more types of housing to be built, not just with single-family housing.

The main reason for these bills is due to the shortage of more than 270,000 housing units. The casita bill also require that any municipality with a population of at least 75,000, will have to adopt to the new regulations that allow any lot with a single family home to build at least one attached and or one detached accessory dwelling unit.

The bill is said to also stop cities from banning advertising of single family homes or if there is a casita on the lot, especially as separately leased long-term rentals. As well, the municipalities will not be able to require that residents of the casita be related to the people living in the main house while living on the same lot.

As well, the casita or ADU must have a working kitchen, additional parking, must be more than five feet away from the property line, and the casita should match the exterior design, roof, or materials used on the single-family home.

Of course, some people were against the move. The League of Arizona Cities and Towns were originally on board with the bill. They were against it when they heard that casitas could be used for short-term rentals or like an Airbnb. The big reason there is a housing shortage in the area is due to the fact that 26& of houses in Maricopa County were owned by outside investors, who often just rent out the properties. Due to this, it has decreased the amount of homes available to locals for purchase.

It was also noted that the new bill was preempted by another ordinance on ADUs, which at the time banned their use as short-term rentals.

Of course this all could change. It seems not everyone is set on these new bills, so I can see things changing soon. What do you think?

I'm hopeful more states will adopt these types of ADUs, especially as populations continue to rise and the house market keeps to slip. More housing is a good thing, especially with the rise in population increasing so often.

I would like to see more states allow ADUs. Especially if those states have a housing crisis similar to this.

And I get not allowing ADUs to be used as airbnbs, I think they should be meant for people to live in them. But I know with the rise in ADUs, we're going to see a rise in airbnbs.

There are two main reasons why rules are made, one, to help the government and administration to manage the society smoothly, and two, to ease people's problems and help them adjust in the society. I think a bill like this one is really helpful for people as well as the government. It will surely solve housing shortages.

There are two main reasons why rules are made, one, to help the government and administration to manage the society smoothly, and two, to ease people's problems and help them adjust in the society. I think a bill like this one is really helpful for people as well as the government. It will surely solve housing shortages.
Yeah if it can provide extra housing for those in need, than we'll be doing something right here. Of course there is still a lot of work to be done, but this is a step into the right direction for sure.

Having extra forms of housing, and allowing citizens to build them, will surly help a lot when it comes to the housing shortages.

Top posters this month

Back