GOP-appointed Nashville Airport Authority believes they have a say in Metro building permits

Shortie

Jul 9, 2023
The Nashville Airport Authority which is newly Republican-appointed is staking its claim in the building permit process. According to a recent letter that was sent to Metro Nashville, the Nashville Airport Authority believe that they have a say in the denial or approval of building permits within most of Davidson County if it is found that they affect the airport's operations.

The move made to allow the Nashville Airport Authority to stake claim in the building permit process came from a new state law and is a departure from previous procedures. The new state law which shifts the power of appointing board members from the Nashville mayor to certain state Republicans does not give the Airport Authority a final say on zoning decisions but does allow the Airport Authority to weigh in on permits impacting the airport.

As of now, the map that has been provided by the Airport Authority now covers a much larger area than before and now surrounds all of Davidson County.

Thanks for sharing, @Shortie. On the surface, this appears pretty reasonable...if a building permit somewhere in the expanded map boundaries would legitimately affect "the safe and efficient operation of the airport" then that sounds like it could represent a real safety/logistics issue that you'd want the airport to be able to weigh in on.

However, I see from the article that this is actually very political with Democrats claiming that the map expansion represents a kind of state-level power grab over Nashville's land use decision-making. The fact that the new state law shifted power to appoint airport board members away from the City and placed it with Republican legislators would seem to support this view.

I feel like I'm missing some key pieces of information here. For example, do Republicans have an argument for why the old map was inadequate? Were buildings starting to be approved outside the prior map boundary that were posing a threat to airport safety/logistics? Also, what was the reasoning state legislators gave for shifting power over the board from the city to state level? I feel like I'd be better able to form an opinion on this situation if I had these additional details.

The recent development involving the Nashville Airport Authority's expanded involvement in the building permit process appears to represent a significant shift in the power dynamics between local and state authorities. This shift, particularly the transfer of appointment power from the Nashville mayor to specific state Republicans, raises concerns about potential politicization and centralization of decision-making processes, which could have broader implications for local governance and community development

The Nashville Airport Authority's expanded role in building permits, influenced by recent changes in state law, marks a significant shift in local governance. While not granting veto power, this development reflects a growing influence of state Republicans in decision-making, potentially affecting zoning and development in Davidson County.

If this is not politically moved, I would say that what The Nashville Airport Authority is trying to lay claim on is completely justified because when it comes to transportation safety especially when it comes to flight, a building permit that's within the expanded map boundaries of the State isn't definitely going to pose a very risky challenge. Lives shouldn't be joked with because air disasters are 100% fatal.

This is a very typical thing in Myrtle Beach SC. Anything within a certain distance from the airport had height restrictions and that was tied to FAA rules. The airport authority was involved with any development near the airport

Top posters this month

Back