Proposals For Affordable Housing in Montana

Nomad

Aug 26, 2023
The Montana Housing Task Force has proposed several solutions to speed up building permits. The primary aim for these proposals are to boost construction and tackle affordability issues in the housing market. They are suggesting a self-certification program for certified professionals to fast-track construction projects. They are also recommending zoning adjustments to allow more mobile and manufactured home, along with reducing or removing parking requirements for new constructions. The task force has also recommended for increased funding for housing programs like the Housing Montana Fund. The aim is to simplify permit processes, reduce costs, and ensure ongoing support for affordable housing in Montana.

You can read more about these proposed laws in this article

More affordable housing everywhere. It's sad that we live in a time where people can't afford to buy their own homes anymore without having to break their backs working to just be able to afford a little place.

I wish more states would step up and enact more options for affordable housing. This is a step in the right direction for Montana residents, but it needs to be done everywhere. It would even be better if the federal government helped work out ways for more affordable housing. Especially when there is so many poor people on the streets these days.

Although the idea of making housing more affordable is commendable, self-certification, fast tracking permits, removing parking requirement's etc... is not the way imho. Other than self-certification, those policies are already implemented here in CA and have had 0 effect on housing prices.
I was fortunate enough to purchase my house in 1999, and now, could not afford to buy the home I live in.

I am always for affordable housing, but I don't know if it's going to work the way they want to do it. I'm hopeful they can find a way, but it sounds like they will cut one thing to help the other. And I don't see that really working all too well.

But, we do need affordable housing, more than ever these days, because people are struggling, and homelessness has only gotten worse from what I hear.

Although the idea of making housing more affordable is commendable, self-certification, fast tracking permits, removing parking requirement's etc... is not the way imho. Other than self-certification, those policies are already implemented here in CA and have had 0 effect on housing prices.
I was fortunate enough to purchase my house in 1999, and now, could not afford to buy the home I live in.
You got in at the right time. Housing was affordable in the late 90s, now days it's tough to buy your own home. Most people I know have been renting these past few years, and have put buying a house on hold for the time being.

Top posters this month

Back