Unpermitted ADUs a growing issue in Bay Area

Jake

Oct 30, 2023
If you happen to live in the Bay Area and have an unpermitted ADU on your property, the city may be coming down on you soon. It's being said that some researches used satellite imagery to find out there was over 1,300 ADU's produced between 2016-2020. They found that 1,000 of those were unpermitted ADUs. For those wondering, an ADU is an accessory dwelling unit, usually a smaller house on the same property of another. Many people have been building ADUs as a way to combat the housing crisis in California.

The big reason these often go unpermitted, is usually due to the lengthy and inefficient permitting process being a big barrier on the process. It can take a while for permits to clear, which leaves a lot of builders going ahead with work unpermitted. They end up building the unit without proper authorization.

The big thing here is, there needs to be more support for ADUs, or a more streamlined permitting process. They are asking policymakers to consider legalization and amnesty programs to help alleviate the whole deal and help support legal construction practices. The need is to improve overall housing outcomes.

You can read more on this news here: CBS News

California really needs to establish more affordable housing, ADUs would be a great step into that direction. They really aught to support it in an attempt to help with this current housing crisis they seem to be in right now.

And it starts with making sure the permitting process is easy and straightforward. Because it seems otherwise, getting these ADUs permitted isn't easy. Make it easier and I bet this housing crisis will start to die down some.

California really needs to establish more affordable housing, ADUs would be a great step into that direction. They really aught to support it in an attempt to help with this current housing crisis they seem to be in right now.

And it starts with making sure the permitting process is easy and straightforward. Because it seems otherwise, getting these ADUs permitted isn't easy. Make it easier and I bet this housing crisis will start to die down some.
I agree. ADU's seem to be a big help as of late. It could be a great way to help with the homeless problem. If my yard permitted it, I would totally put up an ADU and try and either rent it out or use it to help a friend or family member even. Or if I have land, I could consider letting someone put an ADU on it. But I don't have the land to do that, but for those who do, I think it'd be a great way to help with finding the homeless a home they can live at.

I agree. ADU's seem to be a big help as of late. It could be a great way to help with the homeless problem. If my yard permitted it, I would totally put up an ADU and try and either rent it out or use it to help a friend or family member even. Or if I have land, I could consider letting someone put an ADU on it. But I don't have the land to do that, but for those who do, I think it'd be a great way to help with finding the homeless a home they can live at.
I think more needs to be done, like affordable housing for all. ADUs are a small fix, but I don't think they're the thing that will solve the main problem. I think at some point, states and governments need to come together and provide even free housing for some. At least until they can find a stable job and support themselves better, and than at that point get them into affordable housing.

I like ADUs, but I see a lot of people building ADUs on their property with the sole intent to rent it out. I can see that becoming a big trend in the future.

I think more needs to be done, like affordable housing for all. ADUs are a small fix, but I don't think they're the thing that will solve the main problem. I think at some point, states and governments need to come together and provide even free housing for some. At least until they can find a stable job and support themselves better, and than at that point get them into affordable housing.

I like ADUs, but I see a lot of people building ADUs on their property with the sole intent to rent it out. I can see that becoming a big trend in the future.
Yeah I can see a lot of people trying to just rent them out. And part of me is okay with that, because of they at least charge a fair price, or a more affordable price I should say, than I don't think it's that bad. But if they're trying to rent it out for a lot, that's a different story.

Yeah I can see a lot of people trying to just rent them out. And part of me is okay with that, because of they at least charge a fair price, or a more affordable price I should say, than I don't think it's that bad. But if they're trying to rent it out for a lot, that's a different story.
Yeah if they don't charge a lot, I can accept that. But I do feel there will be people who will rent these tiny homes out to people who can pay more for renting them. But if they make it affordable to people in need, that's what I'd like to see.

Affordable housing is what these ADUs should be used for, imo. Or otherwise for your own personal use if you don't plan to rent them out.

Top posters this month

Back